Monday, August 10, 2009

The Cat in the Hat and The Lorax





I must admit that I’m not familiar with other books that present the tension that is presented in the Cat in the Hat. I, on the other hand, believe that tension can create excitement and curiosity to find out what happens. I am sure that there are other books out there that present tension but I am not sure which ones do. I think the tension in the Cat in the Hat makes this story a classic. I believe The Cat in the Hat always has and will continue to appeal to children. This book consists of rhyming which hooks the kids into listening to the creative words. When I read it for the first time (which was forever ago) I can remember reading on just to see if the children get in trouble.


The Lorax is a story that didactic and was controversial in 1971. I believe the message to the readers is if you don’t take care of your Earth, this is what could happen. It was believed (by critics) that this book was a bit harsh for children. I disagree. Children must be taught to take care of the World. This book shows them what could happen if they don’t.




Most of the books that are read in my classroom also teach a lesson. My students have learned to read and find the “theme” of the story which is the moral message.

No comments:

Post a Comment